URUBKO TRIED TO CLIMB K2 ALONE
On Saturday (February 24) Denis Urubko, one of the participants of the Polish expedition attempting to climb K2 in winter for the first time ever, left the base camp without informing anybody. He did not even take his radio. Urubko had been complaining about too slow progress of the expedition for a long time. He decided to climb on his own because he believed the winter season lasted only until the end of February. He did not reach the summit and returned to the base on Monday. Now he’s decided to leave the Polish K2 expedition not helping others get to the top. His decision probably comes as a second disappointment to the team members who previously did not expect he would try to reach the top on his own.
DEBATE: Do you think Urubko cheated his colleagues by trying to climb K2 on his own?
TWO MEDALS FOR POLAND IN WINTER OLYMPICS. ONLY?
Winter Olympic Games have come to an end. This time Poland won two medals: gold for Kamil Stoch and bronze for the team of ski jumpers — first medal ever in team competition in this discipline. In Sochi the collection was bigger, 6 medals. Three of them were earned by speed skaters (Zbigniew Bródka — gold, female team — silver, male team — bronze). The author of the other two was Kamil Stoch and the last one was earned by Justyna Kowalczyk. Perhaps the appetite for success was bigger, but experts say this year we had realistic chances to win only what we did. Poland is no superpower in winter sports, they say.
DEBATE: What can be done by the Ministry of Sport to improve Poland’s results on Winter Olympics?
TRUMP SAYS POLICEMEN IN PARKLAND WERE COWARDS
Commenting on the shooting in Parkland the American President said the officers who intervened in this situation did a poor job. Even worse, as CNN reports he said that policemen either did not react properly under pressure or they were cowards. Just to explain: the accused officers waited for up to 4 minutes before entering the school where the shooting was taking place. As the discussion about gun ownership breaks out again in the USA Donald Trump proposed an idea to increase schools’ safety: armed teachers.
DEBATE: What do you think about the reaction of policemen in this situation?
SHOULD SMOKERS MAKE UP FOR TIME USED FOR SMOKING AT WORK?
A government commission is working on changes in the Labour Code. One of the most widely discussed ideas they are considering is time used for smoking at work. Some propose that smokers will have to stay after work to make up for the time they used on their bad habit. However, in such case they will not get any additional remuneration for overtime. According to the idea companies would be able to make individual decisions if they want to adopt such a law in their business or not. Every employee has the right to a 15-minute break during their working hours but non-smokers often accuse their colleagues of having more breaks and wasting time. Who’s right? How to count the time of smoking?
DEBATE: Should smokers stay after work to make up for time spent on smoking?
Follow the link on the previous page to tell us whether you agree with the following statements:
1. It was selfish of Urubko to leave the base camp and try to climb K2 on his own.
2. I would never attempt to climb a mountain higher than 8000 metres in winter.
3. I am disappointed with the result of Polish sportspeople in PyeongChang.
4. Actions of Ministry of Sport have big influence on results of sportspeople during the Olympics.
5. I am sure I would have entered the school in Parkland if I had been a policeman in that situation.
6. I think armed teachers would increase safety of schools.
7. Smokers use more time at work for breaks than non-smokers.
8. It is impossible to count exactly how much longer in each day a smoker should stay at work.
participant – uczestnik
disappointment – rozczarowanie
speed skating – łyżwiarstwo szybkie
coward – tchórz
to accuse – oskarżać
Labour Code – Kodeks Pracy
to make up for sth – (tu:) odrobić, odpracować
remuneration – wynagrodzenie
overtime – nadgodziny
to adopt a law – przyjąć prawo
working hours – godziny pracy
selfish – samolubny
IDEA FOR A PROJECT: GUNS IN THE USA
- How can you come into possession of a gun in the USA? (what exactly the law is)
- How many Americans have guns? (number, percentage of Americans)
- How many shootings are there in the USA a year?
- How many people a year die in the USA in gun-related attacks/accidents?
- How many people a year die in Europe in gun-related attacks/accidents?
- Which states are the most dangerous?
- What were the worst five attacks in history?
- What do Americans think about gun ownership?
- OTHER CURIOUS FACTS.